Sunday, February 27, 2011

Card Creatures v0.1.2

I've updated the download link with a new version of the game, this time with actual game rules for flipping cards! So far I've implemented the rules Open (the cards in both hands are face-up) and Basic (when you play a card, any adjacent enemy cards with lower facing numbers are flipped - like in Triple Triad). The AI still plays cards in random locations :D.

The system I made for applying the game rules is flexible enough that it should be easy for me to create new rules, and it should be easy to use whatever combination of rules we want in any particular match. So we can have the rules change as we progress through the single-player game, and we can have the players pick their own rules for the multiplayer game. Right now I just have the Open and Basic rules on every time. I'll continue to make more rules in the coming weeks, and I'll post 'em up here, probably along with some kind of testing interface so we can choose which rules we want to play with when we start the match.

One other addition to this version is a border on the cards. Right now there's a horrible-ugly temporary image that I made, but at least it helps us see the numbers when there's a dark background image! To change the card border image, just replace img/border.png with something of your own (and post it up here if you make something for it). Also, any card images you make with your creature designs should have some transparency, so that the blue/red background can show through and the player knows which cards have been flipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment